Emotional support dogs and cats

All you need to know to travel with an emotional support dog or cat

The emotional support animals service is free of charge and is only available for flights within Mexico and from Mexico to Central America and vice versa.

To take an emotional support dog or cat on board, check out the requirements below. If it does not meet those, the animal may travel as a checked pet instead for an additional charge. 


Documentación de un profesional médico.jpg

You must provide a document from a mental health specialist such as a psychiatrist, psychologist, or licensed clinical social worker.

Documentación vigente.jpg

It must be recent: issued no more than a year before the departure date.

perro de apoyo emocional.jpg

It must indicate that the person is under professional care and requires the animal to travel on the aircraft.

papel membretado.jpg

It must be issued on letterhead paper, including the specialist professional license number.

perro con correa.jpg

Your emotional support animal may travel with a leash, harness, or in a carrier. The animal must weigh a maximum of 26 lbs.

transportadora de animales.jpg

If it will travel in a carrier:

■ Dogs may travel in fabric or sturdy plastic carriers, cats only in sturdy carriers.

■ The combined weight of the animal and the carrier must not exceed 26 lbs.

■ Your pet may leave the carrier during the flight, except in take-off and landing.

Vaccination card

You must present the vaccination record, including the first administration of a rabies vaccine or current booster dose.

If your emotional support animal is receiving the rabies vaccine for the first time, it must be administered at least 30 days before the date of your flight.

If it's 15 months of age or older, it must have a current booster dose of rabies vaccine to be able to fly without waiting for 30 days.

Your emotional support dog or cat must also have completed deworming treatment recently (no more than six months before the date of return).

Health certificate

You must present an animal health certificate (original and copy) indicating that your emotional support dog or cat has been subject to prior inspection and is clinically healthy.

It must be issued on letterhead paper with the veterinarian’s professional license number, dated fewer than five days before the initial flight date.

If the certificate does not have the license number on letterhead paper, you must also present a copy of the veterinarian’s professional license.

If the return flight is more than 5 days after the issuance of the certificate, you will need to present a new certificate.

Flights from the United States to Mexico: you don't need to present a health certificate. SENASICA personnel will carry out a physical inspection on your dog or cat upon arrival. 

Pet transportation form

You must sign the pet transportation form that we will give you at our airport counters.

SAGARPA/SENASICA animal health certificate

Flights from Mexico to Central America: you must present the original and a copy of the animal health certificate for export issued by SAGARPA/SENASICA.

Frequent Traveler Program for pets

If you are a Mexican customer on the Frequent Traveler program for pets*, you only need to:

■ Present your valid certificate issued by SENASICA

■ Fill out the form that we will provide you at the airport

Los perros deben llevar correa o harnés.png

Remember to take your emotional support animal with a harness, leash, or in a carrier.

razas braquicéfalas.png

Brachycephalic animals have a higher risk of health complications in the aircraft due to their short snouts and compromised respiratory systems. However, you may travel with one of these animals by signing a waiver of liability.

asiento de avión.jpg

Dogs may travel in any seat except the emergency exit, cats only on the last rows of the plane.

Looking for info on service dogs or onboard/checked pets?

If you need information about service dogs, visit our section on this service.

If you are interested in our onboard or checked pet services, visit travel with your pet for more information.